PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - The Inevitable
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 21:25
A300Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

I think that either Qatar will go for the Airbus A340-500 only, OR, they will possibly still go for the same but will NOT commence services to the USA at all!!! (According to what I have heard mentioned today).

However, it is suggested that QR may decide to concentrate on a rapid and extensive expansion to Far Eastern and Asian routes, to compliment the increasingly numerous QR flights originating in Europe and North Africa.

Hong Kong, Taipei, Manila (direct), Singapore, Vietnam, are all mentioned as possible routes.

I find the above quite a distinct change in philosophy, i.e. no more plans to route to the USA.

This could also signal that Qatar are VERY CLOSE to entering one of the current alliances. Onward traffic from Europe to the USA could conceivably be executed using LH onward code-share services from Germany. However, QR would then need to enhance and increase current frequencies into MUC and FRA from DOH.

It is also highly likely that the forthcoming schedules to MAN will be timed to coincide with bmi's departures onwards to the USA from MAN, with possible code-sharing at a later stage.

To send the "oryx" into the USA, just because EK are doing so does not make any sense, other than keeping up with the Jones'.

The above considered, Mister Geezer, it is not entirely impossible that QR would join the STAR Alliance. Services of BD and LH would be quite well (and reciprocally) complemented by Qatar's high quality services from Middle East to MAN and Germany respectively.

Remember, there are a few other "smaller" carriers also present in STAR (Tyrolean for example - although conceded backed by OS).

My bet is that the above will be the actual plan implemented. But, entry into an alliance will be some time off. Let them get the new routes and codeshares established first of all. Walk before running!!!

LH have just sent their auditing team to Doha for an update on QR's status and suitability following recent concerns. Does anyone have any idea on the outcome of the audit?

Last edited by A300Man; 2nd Sep 2002 at 21:29.