PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25%+ cut in allowances!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 07:00
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Moving the goal posts - or is it rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic?

I've been in my current post for about 5 months; before that I was on another overseas post (Volsep) for 6 months; the gestation for both these postings (linked) goes back almost 2 years. As you may have read earlier, we (me and the family) did the sums (eg loss of second income), considered the options re schooling and then the lifestyle aspects. However, the Service need was also a great factor - 'WP - you'd be the ideal person for that job - we're looking for your breadth and depth of experience in your niche field, would enhance your profile, etc etc...'

Clearly I agreed on the COA but now the financial goal-posts have substantially changed early on in the tour and the substantially reduced LOA in no way meets the additional costs of living in a very, very expensive part of the world; additionally I have subsidised a lot of representational events ouit of my own pocket, as REA is effectively unavailable. In sum, we exercised 'due dilligence' when we were offered the posts and now the rules have changed. In any other environment, one could appeal - or decide to leave forthwith. We are denied that avenue - or should we redress what is clearly a grievance?

Thoughts...

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 24th Jan 2011 at 12:02.