PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice required...torch to fit in flying suit
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 21:08
appleavi8or

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality check.

Rigger, I guess you are not a pilot? Perhaps seeing this from a pilot's perspective might modify your view a little.

Aircrew are very aware of the dangers of loose objects in aircraft. Owning private kit which works tends to make you a little more aware of it and often more likely to notice when it's not where it should be.

All the crews I have flown with are only too ready to 'fess up if they have dropped or lost something....they know the potential. I have spent days (when added up) sitting in fields, deserts or snowy plateaus while engineers sifted through the ac to find a pen (issued lumocolours mostly) or NVG batteries (issued) or torches which have fallen apart (issued) etc.

With due deference to stiff-wing, helicopters are different. There is a huge amount of crap being carted around in helos nowadays; weapons, ammo, survival kit, water bottles, chokky bars, publications, hats, shades....infantry......, most of which isn't 'approved for flight'.

In principle you are right not to condone the carriage of non-approved items, particularly in fixed wing. If the military had its sh** in one pile and gave us the kit we needed when we needed it I'd agree with you. Sadly it doesn't, so I can't.

Last edited by appleavi8or; 23rd Jan 2011 at 21:17. Reason: Advice from my legal team.