PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Explosive decomp
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 20:45
BrATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferris wrote :
in the event that you get an RA whilst in the descent?
I know TCAS and STCA don't work the same way, but I've got 2 questions :
- Would a RA trigger with this kind of a rate ?
- Would a RA be of any use anyway ?

STCA in my system would blink once here, once there, but the computer stops the alarm when it "thinks" it's already too late.
Hence the need for us to anticipate because the automated helps we benefit in normal conditions can be ineffective in such a case.
No STCA doesn't always mean there's no very short term conflict.

DFC,
If they don't get out of my way then I will have to do something so that I survive long enough to write the complaint.
That's the point !
If you want them to go out of your way, maybe a little help from ATC could help...
But as long as we don't know where you're going, we can't do much.

I perfectly understand your technical need for a turn. And I agree with you : straight ahead, right or left, there's a traffic.
If a turn lets you keep the remains of your plane around you, why not ?
Question : roughly, how many degrees do you need to drop the nose ?

Would this turn become SOP in every AO, then we would be able to anticipate only 2 possibilities : right or left turn. We would know how many degrees. Much easier than now, when anything can happen with no advice.

Stu_h's idea of an automated 7700 when the cabin climbs too fast seems great.

We immediately know you've got a problem, we know you're descending. And thanks to this new (hypothetical) worlwide SOP, we know you're turning X degrees.
After less than 8 seconds, we know if this is a right or a left turn.

Now that we know your intentsions, why not just fly the plane down to FL100, we take care of the surrounding traffic, military activities, et al... except maybe during the 10 first seconds.
See ? We've won almost 20 sec. And no need to talk.

Once the plane is fly-able again at FL100, contact us, say "MAYDAY", "diversion", "it's cold up here" or whatever you want.
We've got now plenty of time to navigate together (if you need help), file the papers (Mayday, new FPL to new destination, talk to supervisors, operations, the Pope...) and argue about descending without prior clearance.

Worlwide "SOP" has been implemented for TCAS-RA, why not for explosive decomp/emergency descent ?