PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Junglie Merlins
Thread: Junglie Merlins
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 17:37
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear Wizard,

I fear I may have offended you somewhat-I am sorry.

My thoughts are purely that on this blogging website, but trust me have nothing to do with a blinkered solutionising that the CH47 is the only answer.

Far from it.

My thoughts revolve around the requirement, for Defence plc and not which service owns, flys or operates which airframe. I know that the CH47 is not the solution in all cases, I also know that we are not going to get NH90 or Blackhawks for the smaller lift requirements.

So trust me I do recognise the value and utility of both Merlin and Puma-remember I look across the same briefing table as you.

But if there is no requirement for a dedicated amphibious capability (on call to both HMG and British people at the drop of a hat, what I believe is in under approximately 6-8 weeks, then the whole Junglie Merlin thread is superfluous as any light blue SH driver will be able to deliver something very similar providing that we have a dedicated beat up training package.

And therefore in the current (financially broke) climate CHF is not required, let alone discussing Merlin ownership.

But if HMG and the British people expect an amphibious capability then we can discuss the best ( and sadly cheapest) way to deliver this capability. I do not see any light blue volunteering to go to sea or keeping current in all those extra sea going currencies, or volunteering for all those Fisheads staff jobs. Regardless of the CH47 new buy, it is all to do with delivery of the capability not single service parochialism or my airframe is better than yours.

Maybe too simplistic and too joint, but if there is a requirement for amphibious helicopter force then let's look at how best to support it, either with a CHF with CH47 or Merlin, quite frankly I do not care.

But if there is not the requirement then let's stop rafting around and make a massive saving by getting rid of CHF as quickly as possible (ideally by absorbing them into both CH47 and Merlin Forces) to ensure that we in the light blue can absorb some of the Fisheads corporate knowledge that is still floating around out there despite our little foray last decade into Iraq and Afghan.

Finally Wizard, I will stop referring to you as Freaks, that was a long time ago and much water has gone under the bridge- again I am sorry