PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 16:37
langleybaston

Received 734 Likes on 256 Posts
I can only tell it as I remember it ........ almost unbelievable.

It was a dark quiet shift, no flying, perhaps a weekend. Heard a chopper land, in burst a US pilot "Haven't you heard?" "What?" "The Russkies have rolled into CZ!" It wasn't 1st April, he wasn't obviously drunk, so I took a deep breath, cut out the middlemen AND the RAFP Alsatian and phoned the Staish at home, who asked to speak to the pilot and then pressed the hooter metaphorically with his free hand.

Paul Revere II [qv] departed, and was soon followed by all the squadron reps to collect the [always prepared] Met for rather different missions than the daily routines.

Were we really dependant on a Yank getting the message in the air and landing at first opportunity? Why was ATC at least not in the loop? Am I imagining all this ....... I certainly told the events to my wife, who recalls the narrative vividly.

A lot of famillies checked their grab bags and gold sovereigns that night, for sure. I wonder if that VR Flt Lt uniform would have fitted ...... glad I didn't have to try.

And then there was the French Mirage squadron visit and the graffiti ..... a tale for another day.