PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Secret Spy Planes during the Cold War
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 15:21
Four Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously you boys in light blue were much better briefed than we in khaki. In BAOR in 55/56 there was no reporting system for the Soviet Mil Mission. No SOXMIS cards. As a 2/Lt I was a platoon commander and convoy leader with a tank transporter unit. Mostly carrying Centurions which Soviets knew all about from Korea, but also the new Conquerors on new Antar transporters. So we regularly saw the Soviets 'counting us out and counting us in'.
Most awkward moment: in the Army officers don't ride motor cycles, except in this one tank transporter unit. Although I had a lone pip on my helmet no Brit soldier ever realised I was an officer so I was never saluted when on my bike.

Different in the Soviet Army. One day, leading a convoy I saw the Soviets counting us past a junction, with their driver standing on the roadside. I was greeted with an immaculate salute. Anxious not to cause offence, I tried to salute back - difficult when on a bike, especially when checking the road for the 100 ton transporter behind me, so I responded with something more of a wave than a salute. I fear the Soviets may not have been impressed....