PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice required...torch to fit in flying suit
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 13:32
Top Bunk Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigga1

I speak from both side of the fence having been a rigger before aircrew. Whilst I applaud your vision of utopia, when you have to prefight a frame that you are going flying in, then you want something that works. A degree of common sense has to come into play here eg I would not use a £1 torch from the market but would have no qualms about a maglight or Peli flashlight as these companies have spent a lot of money ensuring they are sparkproof, electrically safe etc. I'm sure Boscombe would like to repeat alll of the checks that have already been done on them to keep someone in a job, but come on .... common sense.

And if memory serves me right, it was the issue, controlled, 0.0001 candlepower right angle torch that was held to blame for an unfortunately fatal Harrier mishap a few (a lot of) years ago which caused the seat drogue gun to fire and not the canopy

PS just read your last and I too did two tours on Crash n Smash, so please can you get off the high horse road.