PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting that first 1000 hours when your country has zero GA
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 12:37
mynameisjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting that first 1000 hours when your country has zero GA

I'm almost afraid to post this because there is so much vitriol towards freshly minted CPL holders. It just seems like everyone in the jets has forgotten that they were once 200odd hour CPL holders looking for that first job.

First off, I'm a 23 year old Singapore, and I got my license from the FAA.

There is virtually zero GA to speak of in Singapore, so being an instructor/bush pilot/banner tow is out of the question.

I have no qualms about grinding my way through the traditional instructor-caravan cargo-regional-major career route, only there really isn't one available to me

Sure there are instructor jobs overseas, but those usually require work visas etc, and most countries put up big road blocks by removing "Pilots" from their list of "Skilled Immigrants".

Singapore has
1. Singapore Airlines - Cadet program is open to citizens, but there seems to be some unspoken lower age limit that only applies to citizens and not Malaysian applicants.
2. Tiger Airways - Currently short of Captains and F/Os who can upgrade quickly.
3. Jetstar Asia - Advanced Cadet program requires 700 hours total time, Ab-initio is another quarter million down the rabbit hole.

The question is where does one even start?

Just wondering if anyone here was in the same boat and has managed to get those first 1000 hours.