PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian med nye F/O requirements
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 12:03
minimumunstick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossunder

I definitely agree that Norwegian's selection process is a poor way of recruiting pilots, and I would be happy to see them do aptitude tests etc.

However, my point remains. The way they are doing things now with that many applicants, I still do not understand why they are lowering their requirements. Because for THEIR way of doing things, there is no point. However if they were to lower the requirements and start mass invitations for aptitude tests / extensive selection process (like Lufthansa Italia) then it would make more sense, to be able to select pilots who fit a certain profile from a wider selection. In this case however there is no such selection process, and therefore allowing even more pilots apply when they already have their hands full with pilots who meet their current hiring requirements just does not make any sense.

You misunderstand me when you think I have said the selection process is about deserving the job or working hard. That is not necessarily the case, and it certainly is not the case when it comes to Norwegian's selection process. However in an ideal world those who deserve something the most should be the ones to get it first as long as they are qualified! I also believe that if there is an opportunity to make this become reality in some way then it should be done. (Too bad that's not how it is).

What I did try to make very clear though, is that you saying that you wish only pilots from Tromsų would be hired is an unfair thing to say. I backed up my argument very clearly and you did not reply with any reason why you think so. Your only reasoning seemed to be that "since when does fairness and deserving play a part", which to me proves the fact that there is no reason why Tromsų graduates should all of a sudden be the only ones who are hired. I do not understand how you cannot see that this is unfair to everyone else who has been trying to apply to Norwegian. If you would've left that remark out of your post then I would have agreed with the rest of your opinions, as I have pointed out earlier in this post.

But would it be fair to the Tromsų graduates to pick The Other Guys (great movie, by the way!) just because they happened to have started their career a few years earlier? That would be equally unfair, and since most of the "other guys" probably never bothered to take any aptitude tests, DY would stand a good chance of hiring the ones who simply are not able to fly and talk at the same time...
I am not saying that the Tromsų pilots should be left out, and as we both agree everyone should be given a chance through testing and profiling. However, it would not be entirely unfair to leave them out either, because experience does play a role. And since we are talking about hypothetical fairness in this case, it is not unfair for pilots who have more time working ****ty pilot jobs raking up hours to get the "good jobs" first. To me that is common sense.

If two people have committed the same crimes and are in prison, who would you say deserves to be released first, the one who has served 10 years already or the one who just got in? It's the same principle, if you have struggled through something for a while to achieve something, I would say you deserve it more than another person who hasn't struggled for as long as you have!

That is of course based on the equality of the people involved. I know that a 200 hour pilot can be much better than a 1000 hour pilot, but sometimes also it is necessary to limit the number of applicants, and the best way to do that is to require a certain amount of experience. This is a matter of statistics and pure math / logic. If you have a group of people and you do not know their personalities / abilities then you will be better off picking the bunch with the most experience. Within that group you will then take the ones who fit the profile, and if you still need more to fit the profile then lower the requirements.

So bottom line is no, I do not believe it would be equally unfair to the Tromsų pilots, and there is no reason to hire them first over anyone else with equal or more experience than them, which is exactly what you were stating in your first post:
I suspect that DY will put their TRTO to good use this year, and that Tromsų graduates will (hopefully) fill the classes
If you specifically like Tromsų pilots and that is what you want that is fine, it would be your opinion, but no, it is still not fair

Last edited by minimumunstick; 23rd Jan 2011 at 12:15.