PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian med nye F/O requirements
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 10:15
Crossunder

Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do you want DY to implement a real selection process or do you want them to just fill the spots with people from a specific school? This was a little unclear to me
...that's because it WAS perhaps a bit unclear The Tromsų students have already been through a helluva selection process, and since DY does not have any real selection procedures, the only way to make sure they hire the right stuff is to hire those who have already been put through their paces. This would of course also mean ex-SAS/RNoAf/any other airline with a similar approach to aptitude testing. The only thing missing then would be a personality profile to find the typical "DY pilot". Today they do the exact opposite: No aptitude testing and no personality profile. Just a helter-skelter scramble for the door and they'll pick the first 20 to enter the room. "You other suckers who didn't make it are jinxed, and we do not want people suffering from bad luck to be working for us".

@minimumunstick: Since when did words like "deserve" and "worked hard" enter the equation? This business has never been about fair treatment, especially not at DY, where they could just as easily play musical chairs to select candidates...
To me that is very unfair to them
But would it be fair to the Tromsų graduates to pick The Other Guys (great movie, by the way!) just because they happened to have started their career a few years earlier? That would be equally unfair, and since most of the "other guys" probably never bothered to take any aptitude tests, DY would stand a good chance of hiring the ones who simply are not able to fly and talk at the same time... Most of them are excellent pilots, but I do not want to risk suddeny discovering the few bad ones next to me in an emergency! I'm sure he/she would say the same about me

I think we all agree on the matter, and to sum it up: I personally am a strong proponent of aptitude testing. You need some basic skills and personality traits to become a decent pilot (multitasking, spatial orientation, logical thinking etc). A personality profile will ensure that the pilots are more or less a homogenous group who think and act alike; this is good for CRM and the working environment in general. Experience can be built up in-house, and in a "controlled environment". Imagine hiring 120 chinese pilots with 8.000 hours TT each. The words "china", "pilot" and "experience" in one sentence conjures up some very unpleasant mental images, at least in my primitive mind... A thorough and fair selection process would see every single qualified applicant invited to a couple of days' testing and interviewing at FBU. Those who score the highest and put up the best show wil be offered a job. Then it would not matter which school you went to or who you know (blow).