PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Junglie Merlins
Thread: Junglie Merlins
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 09:58
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has lost it's way?

Am I being dull here, but it seems that people are just posting random facts and statements about the marinisation and capability of the Merlin that go well beyond the usual PPrune rumour.

Either some are are just misinformed, others may be dramatising other aspects and clearly there are some from all camps just trying to ensure that their 'cause' is furthered at all cost to truth and rational argument.

As a hook driver that is more than happy with his capability lot, know that he delivers exactly what the guys on the ground want I remain impartial to this Freak show.

It remains simple, does the UK plc want a dedicated amphibious capability ready to employ the amphibious skill sets (and not just the pure flying ones) at a moments notice (i.e. No time for a PDT or sea survival, firefighting courses etc).

If it does then either we in the RAF will need a dedicated amphibious wing or we accept that CHF should continue to deliver this capability for defence.And if we in the RAF are going to do this amphib stuff then we have got to seriously get amongst it as it is not a secondary role and we will only end breaking aircraft/ships or worst case killing people. IF UK plc only want a virtual amphibious capability at about 6 weeks notice to do anything then we in the light blue can easily absorb this task after a bit of a dedicated and properly resourced training package and work up period.

Once UK plc have decided what kind amphib capability they want then we can start to talk airframes. If it is a proper amphib force they want then the question should be what airframe is best suited to delivering for CHF? We then can establish whether in the interests of Defence the new buy CH47 should actually go ahead, but for CHF not us. If the new buy CH47 is not affordable but we still want a dedicated amphibious capability then the only other airframe is Merlin, whether Mk3 or a marinised version - immaterial, they will just have to make it work (take on risk) until funding becomes available for any future upgrades.

But if the dedicated, short notice amphibious requirement is not there, sorry I do not see a requirement for CHF and the Junglies either and they should be absorbed slowly into the RAF over the years to ensure that when we do have to deliver a amphibious capability that we have some Fisheads that will help with the training, speak the lingo and do the embarked staff jobs (that I know none of us light blue want).