PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 09:26
Finnpog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But unfortunately...

The contract signed to host the Olympics was even more watertight than that between BAE Systems and the MOD to build both carriers. Once that was signed (Tessa Jowell was it?) there was no backing out.

It seems to me that that somewhere after Haddon Cave was published that at a programme board meeting for the Nimrod 2000 (bis) project took a turn towards a Monty Python sketch.

MOD shiny: "Of course, the MRA4 specification does not have to specifically include concepts such as 'safe to fly' or 'airworthy to modern standards'. I take it that these are included in the build price."

BAES sales rep: "No. I must say that we were suprised that you hadn't included this - but you know your business better than us."

MOD: "I beg your pardon? Do you expect me to believe that you are building a product which won't pass muster and cold embarrass us all?"

BAES: "Why not? For years you have treated 'battlefield' work arounds as standard pactice. We have had hundreds of Tornados back for updates, but you have never wanted to pay to have them put back to factory condition. I admit, it does get on the tits of the blokes on the line, but you know your business better than us. We are still amazed that you only wanted to deliver 9 out of the 36 you ordered...but you know our business better than us."

Last edited by Finnpog; 23rd Jan 2011 at 16:05.