PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 07:59
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOAC
the problem is that when the s hits the f there is not a lot of time to go thumbing through a QRH to look up a table to find you have actually just stalled.
That' why when-I-was-on-the-Airbus, pitch and power combinations that kept you both out of stall and and overspeed long enough to find pitch/power table in the QRH were memory items; TOGA/15 to acceleration, CLB/10 to FL100, CLB/5 above.

Don't ask me about 330, I've only flown 19s and 20s and then for a short while.

Originally Posted by PBL
I do feel I should point out that there is no such thing as raw data any more
Doc, its semantics: raw data has specific meaning for transport pilot and it's not literally raw data as in e.g.: gauge needle been direct driven by the aneroid box or bourdon tube. For us flying the line it means there are no either computed position or computed guidance orders; pilot takes input from his instruments and calculates aeroplane's position, actual direction and desired flightpath in his head and flies his aeroplane accordingly. I guess (and hope) that no civil aeroplane can be certified in transport category unless it has demonstrated it can be flown in raw data mode.

IMHO QF72 has so far only proven that we have not basically moved from the DP Davies principle of acceptable statistical probability of stickpusher activating when not needed. Exact hows and whys of the QF72 is something I eagerly await too.