PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay Talks on 13th Dec
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 03:33
johnboyy2g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why

As a new CPL, but a mature individual with an MBA and someone who has years of various management experience may I say one thing? To the CX pilots who are concerned about anyone else knowing what the pay offer is.

May I point out that it will become public shortly,

Other people do have an indirect vested interest.

What? Other people have an interest?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, other pilots do have an interest. What you decide will eventually influence the entire world market. As has been pointed out, we have skills that with some BULL****e paperwork transfers from around the world. Personally, I think there should be one and only one world license....that would **** the CX cadet program! Or, everyone would be stuck with it...not sure which....

Thus, as a result, the actions that are taken here will in larger or smaller ways influence the general market for airline pilots, young and old.

Sorry to be American centric here, but it is rather like the UAW, United Auto Workers of America. When Ford would agree to a contract, then GM and Chrysler would end up with similar contracts, When GM agreed, then the others would end up with similar contracts. Which ever contract got renewed first, that was the battle ground, other contracts just followed the some path.

When the UAW started giving concessions back to the companies in the last ten years, guess what? The contracts all followed the same DOWN HILL PATH.

I know this sucks. It is unfair to spend years learning to fly, to spend tens of thousands of dollars to fly to start a job that is paying less and less in relative terms. It is INSANE in my mind to pay someone 24,000 USD a year to fly a plane that cost 40 or 50 million and then because at 24,000 they can't pay the student loans, they take a second job, they work 80 plus hours a week....they fall asleep or are tired and make a mistake and crash the plane...80 dead. All to save the airline 100,000 a year per airplane,,, 20 or 30,000 USD per new SO.

Unfortunatly, the problem is, most financial guys can't seem to calculate the cost that are lost. They can show you what you cost, fuel, plane, interest, but not what opportunity costs are.

What is the cost of lost customers when you crash a plane, crew error due to being tired?
What is the cost of losing SO or FO after paying for their training? What is the cost to replace them?

About 10 or 12 years ago. A gentlemen in the US who's family ran an industrial company in the Midwest really looked at opportunity costs, at least the cost of replacing an individual. Understand this was a industrial company not aviation, however, I think it illistrates the point.

He figured that it cost 8,000 USD to hire a single worker. 8,000 USD. to hire a single person, and that is before the individual received specific training. His turn over rate was almost 30 percent a year! What did he do? He SPENT up to5,000 USD per person to retain them! Result, turn over dropped to less than five percent, productivity increased, he calculated that instead of costing money, the extra money spent really saved money!

What needs to happen is we need people in managment in this industry to realize the cost associated with turnover, lack of training and lack of pay at the low end of the scale. Really, how much would a ticket increase if we paid a little more so people didn't need a second job?

Well, that's my take
Keep you wings level and your tanks full!