PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 00:04
poteroo

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
50 Years Today

This is a selfish little post to mark the day, 23rd January,1961, that I stepped onto Jacksons' tarmac out of a TAA DC-6B. In starched shirt, shorts and long white socks - I was off to lift TPNGs' agriculture into the new age. Didn't quite work out that way, but I tried.

Home for a month was Ranuguri Hostel in Lawes Rd, just up the hill from DASF where we were 'indoctrinated'. The more important social education work was done in the Konedobu Club, which in those days occupied a prime waterside block. I distinctly remember the vile taste of SP, which, after being raised on XXXX, took some adjustment. Later in the 60's when I lived in POM, we used to buy our SP in pallet loads direct from the brewery, (anyone else do that?), and it was really cheap. I think we got it for about $8-$10 per carton. In '62 we were able to land VB cartons in Madang for 2 pound 10 shillings.

Back to the story though. After the intro course I went to the DASF Kerevat Research Station out of Rabaul for more agronomy work, then on to Mt Hagen, where I became the resident 'didiman' on Korn Farm Res. Stn. Many of you are familiar with the current Hagen airport at Kagamuga - Korn Farm is down the Minj road a few km from there. In about July 1961, I was one of many 'gang foremen' who oversaw the clearing of the airport site - which we burnt off in Sept 1961. There were more auli at that event than at any of the Shows!

Never thought I'd be flying over the country a few years later, but flying became a passion and where better to hone that, than in PNG?

Won't bore the long socks off you - just noting it as my '50th year since' and also to advise that, after 48 years in the saddle, I'm still a current G1 and enjoying my 'retirement job' of teaching the basics.

cheers, poteroo.