PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Floods & MRH90
Thread: Floods & MRH90
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 23:33
ftrplt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where the S76's from AMB deployed? Seems like a great cab for the mission in their area.
The SAR contractor tends to re-deploy the S76 they are basing at AMB during periods of reduced activity; I dont believe the S76 was in AMB at the time.

despite them not having a notice to move

That is the point - they should have a NTM, even if it is 48 hours. Seems stupid to have a base full of capable assets that are not on a formal NTM for DACC]
Its not a point - its an opinion. Response to civil emergency is not the primary responsibility of Defence; therefore to expect the entire ADF to be on a NTM ridiculous. Notwithstanding, the POINT is that there were sufficient assets available for search and rescue & flood support as the weather allowed and as crew recall was able to be actioned. More assets in theatre WOULD NOT have provided more support, they would have struggled with deconfliction and I expect assets would have sat around unutilised.

And my point made earlier still stands:

Quote:
Did Oakey for example call the local councils (and their parent HQ) and say íf you ask through official channels we can have XX Blackhawks and XX Kiowas and a 412 ready in XX days'

Again, its not a POINT, its a question. DACC doesnt work that way, if the civil agencies cannot support the contingency with civilian assets, then they approach Defence for support. Defence commits assets that are on NTM to support the effort requested. Again, the weather on the day of the Lockyer Valley flash floods was so poor that I doubt any more airborne support could have been provided over and above the support that WAS provided - Sea Kings and Blackhawks.

The comments are based on the overall preparation for disasters etc plus where are the new [fantastically over rated????] MRH-90's bought at great cost by the Australian taxpayers for Her Majesty's ADF......they were supposed to be operational years ago.... ]
The ADF was prepared, and provided the support that was requested BY the civil agencies - there were 20 or so helo's operating from AMB for at least 10 days, I doubt more assets could have been utilised. The MRH-90 (which isnt in service) wasnt needed.

Whther or not the MRH-90 is fantastically over-rated, expensive, or late; is irrelevant to the question of preparedness and the overall Defence response.