PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 23:32
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The report makes no mention of diverting, building a spur on to, the railway line, I read it that they plan a new station, at significant cost, on to the existing railway line, this would incur a bus shuttle to/from the airport, I'm not familiar with the local area but could the existing 'Minster' station not serve this purpose and save a bucket load of taxpayers money in the process ... or does this country, with VAT etc. prices rising, high unemployment levels etc, have such monies to waste to keep a minority of aviation enthusiasts satisfied?

As example CWL has a railway station, they nenamed Rhoose village station 'Airport' and, I think, a bus shuttle to/from is provided, if Manston is trying to copycat SEN then Manston doesn't have SEN's advantage of a railway line passing by the end of the runway!

And as for funding, subsidising, a route to/from a European hub, well to take CWL again as an example, CWL has a subsidised route to/from, of all places, RAF Valley and, for the next 4 years, every seat is taxpayer subsidised to the tune of £65.00, if a route needs to be subsidised to that tune to make it work then it's time to realise such a route isn't feasible ..... I hasten to add that, in Wales, a senior politician resides local to RAF Valley and has regular business in Cardiff ... go figure

STN might not be mainline but it has the Stansted Express in to London, and rail links to the north, I'm no fan of LTN, and it is mainly LoCo, but it is right on the M1 motorway for road connections to anywhere and STN remains with plenty of capacity and with an often required (for heavy long haul) longer runway than Manston.