PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 20:17
Alice025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is this suspicious silence of the controller at the end, all wonder why didn't he shout Level off or Go-around earlier. As was rightly noted, too high aircraft's speed is no excuse as an experienced controller can forecast that the plane moving at increased speed will end up at 100 metres earlier than normal. I don't know about the talking head controller, but the other two were very experienced, Plusnin - head of the landing zone and Krasnokutsky - head of some regional military-transport unit.

Legally - as was noted here as well - these are "off the hook", as the magic words - the exchange re type of approach control were never said.
Thus, technically, they could have as well said nil, and may be it would be better if they didn't. The crew then would know for sure they are to rely, from entry into the glidepath to Go-around at 100 metres/landing/depending what they had in mind - entirely on themselves.

But, humanly, and professionally - what were the controllers thinking about keeping silent at the last bit. I have one idea, that Krasnokutsky's words from the exchange, re previous Yak-40 "they must have some equipment... I thought they are doing the Go-around" (but they landed)

On having got no heights' reported and no exchange with the plane of "magic words" :o) / type of approach flown/ - for the second time in a row, (first - Yak, next - TU), they could have thought Polish planes behave so inordinary (in those military background controllers' view, kind of set in their ways) because they don't need them. Some "equipment".
Allowing Yak to land while the better fit one (in their view) own IL - haven't.
How about displaying initiative at this point, and insisting that TU "employs" them for approach control, says the formula and gives back "receipts" /confirmations (in the shape of heights) - is another question.