PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper to abandon the Piper Sport
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 19:42
John Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well engines are one thing - let's talk about handling. I have yet to fly a Tecnam that doesn't recover easily from a spin (though I've only done this in their high wing models). They are light and responsive and all land easily with a natural flare and easy hold-off to touchdown. They all have sticks. On the downside, they have that horrible single lever brake system, which means having to remove a hand from the stick or throttle to use it - not a great arrangement. They are not comfortable to fly (nor do they 'feel' particularly secure) in turbulence or gusty conditions but that is the same for most aircraft in this weight category.

In fact almost all of these types are pleasant to fly, including the PiperSport (apart from its poorly harmonised ailerons). Very few of them are cleared to spin though this is not surprising considering a string of fatal accidents in various parts of the world involving two or three designs, which should raise eyebrows for any potential flight school buyer. At least Cessna appear to have tackled this directly and publicly, which says a great deal about the company.

I've never been let down by either an O-200 or a 912 (in fact I've never been let down by any aero engine), but to my mind the current generation of newer 'Rotax-type' engines make more sense.