PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 17:49
SadPole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC

Either way the approach was not flown properly and that ultimately is down to the person with hands on the controls - and the Captain.

Despite all the other 'bits' there was ultimately one person only who crashed this a/c. I'm afraid you will have to accept that.
Absolutely. And I have agreed with it all along and said so multiple times. Regardless if PIC did it on his own or because of the pressure, it still makes it his responsibility because being able to assert control where necessary and refuse criminal orders is as important skill of a pilot/soldier as knowing all the technical aspects and skills.

So why would all this nonsense about ATCs being at fault being pursued?

Again, I am pretty sure that everyone is sick and tired of all of this – and it would be great for it to finally go away. Problem is – the official line from Poland now is that it was ATCs who caused the crash. In view of Kaczynski (given today at a press conference), Russia is 100% to blame for the crash, in view of the politicians opposed to Kaczynski, Russia shares some 50% of the blame. And this is nuts, because to all thinking people the sole purpose of this nonsense is to shift attention from criminal orders being given to Russia and the ATCs.

As the problem is now purely political (not technical), I agree that PPRUNE is probably not the right place to discuss it any further. But, if the ATC spin is treated seriously, the attempt at understanding of what is behind it should also be treated seriously.