PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen plates and new minima
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 14:59
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of those things is that NPAs have MDAs and PAs have DAs. This is no longer true - a NPA flown using the CDFA technique shall use a DA. So that is where this is getting confusing!
I see your point.

We treat them the same. Whereas the new MDA is termed DA, we still treat it as a hard altitude, because constant descent or not, it's still a non-precision approach (even with vertical guidance flown through the FMS). Accordingly, we add 50' and set radar alttiude at DA plus 50', and execute the missed at that altitude. We but our altimeters accordingly, in order to prevent descent below the published "DA" during execution of the constant descent non precision approach.

On a precision approach, we execute the missed approach before or at minimums. If executing at minimums, then we may pass through them during the execution of the missed.

On a non-precision approach, we instill a buffer above minimums such that the MDA-now-DA remains a hard altitude, and the execution of the missed takes place above that.

It goes without saying that regardless of the altitude at which the missed is executed, one continues to the missed approach point before making a turn.

(I see you're based on the other side of the pond)
Well, not exactly. I actually operate very little in the US. I do operate frequently on your side of the pond, however.