PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen plates and new minima
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 14:15
bfisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNS3Guppy: while I agree "it's best not to confuse the two", that is exactly what's going on in Europe (I see you're based on the other side of the pond) with the implentation of EU-OPS regulations.

From july this year, all non-precision-approaches shall be flown as Constant Descent Final Approach (CDFA), by commercial operators: with a constant descent from the FAF to the runway, and with a DA in lieu of an MDA. However, this is being implemented as we speak, and because of that paradigm shift, there will inevitably be discussions and questions pertaining to things that used to be "written in stone".

One of those things is that NPAs have MDAs and PAs have DAs. This is no longer true - a NPA flown using the CDFA technique shall use a DA. So that is where this is getting confusing!

So to the original question:

FFF: it should say somewhere in your operation manuals if you are required to add an increment NPA DAs, to account for altitude loss during transitioning to climb, or if that has been catered for already.

In both our OM-B and OM-C; it specifically says that the missed approached shall be carried out AT the DA or MAPt, whichever occurs first.

However, Jeppesen also specify that they "do NOT include an add-on when publishing a DA(H) for a CDFA non-precision approach.". If these two, somewhat contradictory statements (to my interpretation) is due to the fact that we fly a very responsive turboprop and the mentioned altitude loss is negligible, I don't know.

Edit: @Gardener: try the legend page 171 - at least my legend has several approach chart legends since several types are still in use - make sure to read the one called "EU-OPS 1 aerodrome operating minimums (AOM)" from 14 nov 08. Not the previous ones from the 1990s....