PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeppesen plates and new minima
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 11:16
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeppesen plates and new minima

Dear fellow PPRuNers,

As I'm sure we all know, in 6 months time, the new methods of calculating aerodrome minima, specified in EU-OPS 1.430 Appendix 1 (New), will become mandatory for commercial operations in Europe. Jeppesen's literature states that they aim to have the plates for all airports in EASA and EU States updated to reflect those minima before the July deadline (and until them, they have published plate 10-9S which shows the new minima as an interim measure).

I have a couple of questions about what the plates will look like and how they will be used once these new minima are shown on them. It seems that none of the UK airports have been updated yet - the minima box on all of my plates shows "JAR-OPS" in the top-left corner, meaning the minima are calculated the old way, whereas I understand that this will change to "Standard" once the new method is being used. I don't know about other countries (I don't get to leave the UK very often!), but perhaps some other countries have already been converted? If so, perhaps someone can refer to these plates to answer my questions?

Anyway, the questions:

1) For non-precision approaches, the minima on the plates will be for CDFAs. It was unclear to me, reading Jeppesen's literature, whether the minimum altitude/height for the approach will be annotated as being a MDA(H) as it is at present, or whether they will call it a DA(H).

2) Following on from question 1, if the minimum height is annotated as being a DA(H), then is it still a "not below" which requires something (50' perhaps) to be added to it to ensure it is not busted during the go-around (as per the best current practice for CDFAs where the minimum height is an MDA(H)), or should we be initiating the go-around at the published DA(H) and accepting that we may go slightly below it during the go-around (as we currently do for precision approaches)?

(If the answer to question 1 is that it will still be called a MDA(H), then please ignore question 2 as the answer is self-explanatory!)

3) The published minima for non-precision approaches will be for a CDFA. For an approach not flown as a CDFA, 200m (Cat A/B) or 400m (Cat C/D) has to be added to the minimum RVR (subject to a 5000m limit). I'm clear on that..... but how will the minimum RVR be presented to us for approaches which can't be flown as a CDFA, perhaps because they don't have a FAF? I'm thinking of Alderney in particular as that's the one I go to regularly, but I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. Will the 200m/400m already be added to the published minima, since the lower minima without this addition would be meaningless? Will it be obvious whether this addition has been made or not?

Thanks for your help!

FFF
----------------