PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PrivatAir selection
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 09:48
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does reflect upon a company. Decades ago, as a candidate for CX and resident in the UK, I passed the initial interview in London. I was given a claim form for all travel expenses. I was phoned up a few weeks later and asked to go to HK for the Stage 2 selection. My wife & I were given economy tickets but upgraded to club on check in. Hotac was arranged and pre-paid in HK. On arrival, I was met and taken to an airport bank & given three days 'Candidate allowance'. At the end, there was a cocktail party for all candidates on that visit (I am told that it was, in fact, part of the selection & wives/girl friends were scrutinised too). I failed. But, I did think that this was THE Company to get into & stay with forever.

Years later, as a fully qualified TRE/IRE on B757. I applied for SIA 747. Travel to Singapore was subload economy (but they did pay). Hotac & travel expenses were on my own account. Medical fees were on my own account. I was asked to pay a Training deposit (returnable after five years) but also, a Training BOND which the Company has been fierce in pursuing. I passed but decided not to take up the offer.

Again, guys, it is simple economics of supply/demand. Right now we are two to a penny & airline bean counters see no need to give us the red carpet. Low cost operators will act very tight at the selection stages. Top draw carriers can afford to put on a good show for you at Selection (Emirates used to be really good, almost as good as CX).

I was on the Selection Board of one terrific Operator. We. paid for everything.Ops Director at the time told us "make this the company they all want to come to". Well, lots of us about chasing too few slots now & if it is a job I really want, I expect to do the chasing now. Sad but true.

Good hunting & safe flying.