PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2011, 22:52
Flex_Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ANW1988,
I also failed that assessment for the same reason with repeat test offer.

Read the thread about ‘Modular is cheaper’;

Get a few lessons – my instructor mate took a guy up once who was well keen to go – did a few steep turns and he freaked and wanted to get down;

IMHO now is the time to train. Also despite the fact I failed in OAA, I think they do mould and groom people to be airline ready in addition to the licence. Whether the extra mountain of money is worth it for the likes of FR and EZ I *VERY* seriously doubt;

Have you considered the armed forces? Yes I know there has been a cull recently, but there will still be new entrants each year;

How are you with people in general – can you communicate easier on a one-to-one? Cause that’s what counts;

If you go back to OAA to repeat it, you need to make your presence felt by contributing. I was too quiet and acknowledged that in the debrief – but I just thought what we were doing was cobblers and was more amazed by how certain peoples ego’s just took off – in my opinion they’re the ones you don’t want ;

Consider a PPL in sunny Florida. Do all the exams before you go out though so you can enjoy the flying. Don’t buy the PPL books from the shop they tell you to ‘buy the package’ from – ebay the lot, and do the exams at home. No airline will give a rats about your PPL, BUT a good score is a good score. (You'll get a shock when you come home though, all ATC HATE GA and the rt terminology, ATC procedures and airspace is quite different. The rt really threw me - but it's so much more pleasant to fly there!)

So what do you think of everyones comments?!
All the best…