PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2011, 22:44
ANW1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies so far ladies and gents...

Whirlygig - I've done a lot (and I mean a lot!) of research into every possible training alternative. Oxford, for reasons other than 'marketing hype and lies', are my first choice. Maybe stupidly in some people's opinion - however, if I'm going to be spending all that money, I'm going to be doing it with the FTO I personally feel has the most to offer. I respect your comment, as it is a valid one from an individual who sounds like they have been in the business a long time. However, the question was centred around their skills assessment, rather than which FTO.

welliewanger - as you can see it's my first post on this forum, but through years of trawling info on here, I can see why you think 'too many people on this forum have a huge "integrated schools are con-shops" chip on their shoulder. Thanks for the advice re teamwork/leadership, and an employers view on the skills assessment. Teamwork/leadership isn't one of my greatest strengths but I'll sure be working hard on it so I can hopefully pull it out on the day.

OutsideCAS - I wouldn't say Oxford have an overly biased opinion on what they can and cannot do regarding employment, would you? I've certainly been given no promises from them, and felt everyone has been relatively honest with me so far, considering the people I've been speaking to are paid to put bums on seats.

MIKECR - yeah, a few here and there. By that I mean a few trial lessons (2.5hrs total) covering the basics, and a bit of time in a glider which I suppose doesn't really count, but helped confirm to me that I want a bird's eye view of the world on a daily basis. It's a long standing dream which I've only recently been in a position to get the wheels moving to try and help make it reality. Unfortunately there is no bank of Mum and Dad - just a well formed plan that will only have a bearing on me should things go Pete Tong.

CAT3C AUTOLAND - there normally is a fee. I've got it for nothing (and rightly so in my opinion) for attending an open day last year.