PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow mating exercise : fail
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2011, 22:28
lowG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good time for an inaugural post...

I agree with Gordy, I wonder how the FAA will resolve this, I believe the "student" was at least a PPL holder to go on long cross countries in the first place, and the schweizer does have a jumpy collective at times but the point of interest comes up in determining who is PIC, and hence who gets the waterboarding from the FAA. I don't think there's any pre flight signed document as to who's in command when it comes to flights like the one reported, there wasn't any when I was in flight school at least. It leaves a gap through which it seems the "instructor" can escape by claiming he wasn't in the aircraft. Guess the poor student will have to go this one on his own. I hear those FAA question sessions can be quite unnerving...

...and like SASless pointed out, freak incidents do happen but the schweizer is a pretty basic machine with no electric gizmatazz prone to popping a fuse and giving the chopper a mind of its own. I hear the controls were down and centered and frictions on at the post crash inspection.