PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - will the RAF be searching pilots in a few years?
Old 21st Jan 2011, 21:39
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Go For It!!

Of course you should ask on this website and every other site that can help you.

I recommend you join the Air Training Corps, which you can do at 13 years and 6 months. You can prepare yourself by finding your nearest squadron and making contact and asking if you can visit to see what they're like and the things they do. Take every opportunity offered to train, visit RAF stations, go on air experience flights, do DofE, BTEC, sports and gain from the best youth organisation in the UK (possibly the world).

If you only want to be a pilot, you might be disappointed by very many things (I was colour blind), some people have a history of asthma etc. If you can get a doctor's assessment of any possible medical issues, this might save disappointment later.

Be realistic and set yourself sensible goals (not everybody can be a fast jet pilot). Have several strings to your bow and be prepared to compromise because it will be an increasingly difficult world out there in the future.

I started in the ATC, served for 31 years as a regular and am still a reservist three weeks away from my 67th birthday and wish I could do it all again!!! GOOD LUCK JUNIOR.

Old Duffer

PS Don't let any miserable old SO? put you off.

PPS Do read your posts before sending them, good English is still important.