PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2002, 14:30
MechanicalMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barry,

Looking at the picture, the bottom left of the pic would be about the middle of the cargo door when viewed from inside, the silver panels with bumps are the lower cargo floor ballmats, the forward edge of the door is still present but the fusalage door frame and skin are missing. Looking at the pic the door does still look latched at the lower edge, the lower eight latch torque tube is still present (only just in view) and looks intact (no bending) the latch actuator is still present (the white object at the left of the pic 2/3's down) as is its torque tube which looks undamaged as does the pushrod from the lower eight latch torque tube to the midspan latches (lower edge of photo, 1/3 in from left). The rollers you can see just above the bottom edge of the door are cargo loading rollers on the floor lip, not part of the cargo door latches. There does not seem to be any structual damage to the door visible in the pic as far as i can see, the panel that is torn (1/2 way along, 1/3 up from the bottom of the pic) is made from gilliner, a fireproof fibreglass - easily torn. The pic does seem to show the rear floor are but i'me not 100% sure of that, same floor in both front and rear freight bays, but judging by the floor beams i'me fairly sure it is the rear.

Interesting to note though is the complete lack of fusalage skin on the left hand side and belly.

hope this helps