PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Stations (past and Present) - Biggest, Best and Bonnieist??
Old 21st Jan 2011, 03:45
kaikohe76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Folks,

-4 me, South Cerney springs to mind, my first taste of the RAF, it had a lovely Officers Mess Building too.
- Leeming. Nice part of the UK, bloodly hard work completing the wings course on the JP, but certainly well worth it. I was once instructed to extend downwind as a Vulcan was on finals & ended up half way to Brum!, don't tell.
- Oakington - A lovely station & also in another lovely area, right next door to Girton Ladies College. My QFI had a Lotus Cortina, super car. Great pity to see most of the airfield is dug up & I think going into the real estate business.
- Sharjah - First operational posting, sand in almost everything, but super atmosphere.
- Thorney Island - A bugger to get in & out of if you lived off camp & it was rush hour on the A27.
- Northolt- Rather compressed & the end of the runway approached rather quickly when landing the 125 in the wet, no reverse for us.
Overall, I am so very sorry to see so many old RAF stations & airfields being closed down, I woder where we will be in ten years or so.