PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Two Planes Grounded After Tail Strikes
Old 20th Jan 2011, 23:31
bubbers44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you fly once a month as a management pilot you are at the same proficiency as a line pilot flying once a month. Striking a tail out of LAX with about 12,000 feet of runway would never happen with a line pilot. I don't care how mistrimmed it was if the W&B was off. I thought it was an SNA take off when I heard about the tail strike. But at LAX?

I had a friend that had his captain screw up and not set the flaps in a 737 out of LAX one day when maintenance pulled the takeoff warning circuit breaker to not hear that annoying sound about flaps everytime they advanced the thrust levers. They didn't get a tail scrape but did a stick shacker on lift off. My friend should have caught it too but he didn't. Unless I was flying out of SNA I let the airplane fly itself off the runway with proper pitch and not worry because I had 8,000 ft in front of me at rotation. I guess management guys know something we don't.