PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polish Presidential Flight Crash Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2011, 21:38
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zbychus
On the operation level as it was GCA approach
I do not think so either.definitively not in the sense of a PAR or an SRA APP as described by ICAO , ( no GCA in civil operations , only PAR and SRA)

We seem to have determined moons ago ( facts from the repport and other sources) that this flight was an international flight operating Civil (ICAO) rules , not a military flight operating under Russian military ATC rules , right ?.

A PAR App would be a very specific phraseology starting with the words : This is a PAR APP for runway xx in case of Go around proceeed xxxx, commence descent now and do not acknoledge further transmissions , etc.. followed instructions every 5 sec , and words like " check decision height " etc.. .
For an SRA APP phraseology would include words like " Service Terminated at XX Km from touchdown, Obstacle clearance xx m, check your minimas " etc.
Nothing of that sort here.
My interpretation ( correct me if I am wrong) is that it was a NDB APP monitored by Radar, not a PAR or an SRA APP.

Hence the decision to abandon APP at DH and Go around was PIC , not ATC.

But except for your last paragraph, I tend to agree with your "short overview" in your post.