PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why can you take-off but not necessarily land?
Old 20th Jan 2011, 20:37
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not overly dramatic questions, they are welcome here!

Some airplanes are built that have a provision for the pilots to dump fuel, spray it into the surrounding atmosphere where it evaporates, to get down to the landing weight under the conditions you describe.

My Boeing 737 does not have the ability to dump fuel. If I must land at a weight above my maximum certified landing weight there is a procedure I follow. Simply put the overweight landing procedure tasks me with landing very gently, a maximum of 360 feet per minute sink rate (descent) at the moment of touch down (landing). I note the sink rate, write it up in the maintenance log book after landing and turn the jet over to our maintenance department.

Now that I have an overweight landing in the maintenance record, the mechanics have an approved inspection already designed by the manufacturer and detailed in the jet's maintenance manuals that must be performed. Based on the results of the inspection the jet will be released after noting no damage, or if I have bent, busted or twisted things those damaged components will need to be repaired prior to the next flight.

And away we go.......................

Take the time to read the link provided by MarkerInbound. The Boeing article does an excellent job explaining various considerations of an overweight landing. I think you will like it!

(For simplicity I have omitted talking about calculating landing distance for the greater weight, declaring an emergency for operating outside of the limitations section of the flight manual, and the details of the various checklists, the 360 fpm is from memory if it serves me correctly. As usual in aviation there is always a little bit more to the subject, somebody else out there knows a lot more, has more recent and relevant experience.)

Last edited by Northbeach; 20th Jan 2011 at 21:30.