PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR Revisited ?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2011, 19:02
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas all year for civil serpents

It's small beer in military terms I know having been involved, but how many people know about this, and what do people think the reaction to this generally may be;

There is a EU Directive that UK must have conservation measures in place, with categorisation of areas concerned, and what 'appriate steps' are taken to protect these areas, all around the UK coast...

When faced with this, it seems the civil service thought to themselves - "conservation, who deals with that ? I know, get the conservation lobby to sort it, they're always moaning, they can make the recommendations"...

So 4 groups were set up to divide up the coast, and a multitude of steering committees and conservation charites involved who think it's all their Christmases come at once - end result, they are trying to virtually ban anchoring by small craft at the majority of anchorages which have been in use for centuries.

What will be of interest here, apart from any boat owners reading, is that these areas designated 'no anchoring' or even 'no go at all ' are to be strictly policed with both ( presumably RIB ) patrol craft and on shore !

I happen to be one of a small group of yachties who have ganged together to fight this, and there is hope we may influence the dafter decisions and deflect - but no way stop - this all happening; whole new rows of shiny seats for conservation servants, and some whole new force presumably to police / patrol by land and sea.

The first question we are asked every time is " How is this possible at a time when we're crucifying schools, NHS, Care Homes, Defence, everything ? "

( apologies but perhaps understandably that's Joe Public's thoughts of cuts )

As I say the process is unstoppable, the theory is that it's cheaper for the 'Government' ( any flavour ) to set up this nonsense than the humungous fines from Brussels if they don't.

Personally I'd like to see some figures on that, but in the meantime we're extremely busy fighting our cause - if 'they' - the conservationists seeking to influnce the decisions - get their way, there will be no safe anchorage from the Solent to Portland, which is pretty important in a small boat with a family aboard in a gale...
And that's just the test case at Studland, the same is due around all our coast.

I've brought this up as my blood began to boil - again- reading this thread; you may be heartened to hear the sailing magazine where all this came to light, and our organisation to deflect it was formed, was white-hot after the last cuts a few months ago - and I, my father and two uncles had a total of 139 years working at Hawkers / BAe Dunsfold...

In case anyone is interested in our little war - any boat users who haven't heard about this won't believe it but sadly it's true -

Boat Owners Response Group

Yes, the BORG ! - actually suggested by our retired co-founder, stays in the mind...

Good luck to all of you, maybe there will be transfers to this new force ?!