PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Junglie Merlins
Thread: Junglie Merlins
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2011, 10:05
Norfolk Inchance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex-MALM and a former SHFNI crewman I can assure you that there was no institutional "can't be arsed / let 'em walk" attitude on the RAF Sqns. This is simply single service jingoism.
We pushed the limits on a daily basis. Now if you said we wouldn't break the limits to stop you walking, that's different. And if your measure of a quality crew is their willingness to break the rules for non urgent / life threatening situations, then that speaks volumes of your lack of professionalism as an aviator.
And as for a MALM telling a VSO that the troops donīt need to know... whilst he might have thought that or been bloody minded enough to think that, I doubt he would be stupid enough to leave himself and his crew wide open by admitting it to a VSO.

I have been delayed getting to KAF as well, and on every occasion when we were on board the a/c the crew kept us informed.

Now in the terminal with Brize movs.... thatīs a different story.

And finally, nice inflammatory language here -"Loadmaster/ Flight Attendant". Which was it? One is a WO and the other an SAC. Bit different. Oh you scoundrel, you're trying to wind us up with a bit bit more playground banter

Winch Weight.

I think you have alluded to the differences between the two services which I was attempting, from a reasonably neutral position, to highlight.
I remember on one occasion getting into the back of a SK4 in S. Armagh after the requested RAF helo had turned us down due to the weather. The crewman put me on headset and I was informed by the pilot that the fault wasn't necessarily with the pilot/aircrew. Apparently prior to the formation of JHC, the RAF Flight rules and limitations were quite restrictive, whereas those employed by the Junglies were more pragmatic and common-sense biased. This in turn allowed them to press on when perhaps others could only watch from the comfort of the Mill at BBK.

WRT the Loadmaster/ Flight Attendant - well I'm not sure really. He was definitely a WO, but was quite happy dishing out the paper cups of OJ and bagrats. Is this where old MALM's end up when they are nearing their sell- by dates??