PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2011, 07:19
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how many pilots would be doctors and vice versa. Two of my AMEs had been professional pilots, I've flown with many pilots who were doctors and then changed careers to plough the ether and I know two who were young and keen enough to go the other way, i.e. leave the skies for a medical ward.

My take on things: if you get a good enough TER/TEA (whatever they're calling them this year) then go for the medicine.....I wish I had. Yes, a junior doctor is going to learn the skills of a zombie and be able to prescribe stuff while in a comatose state and it's going to take a considerable amount of time before the big $$$s kick in BUT compare and contrast that with guys looking to get into the airline game now and it's no different. I'd much rather be chasing (female) nurses around the ward, even though I'd be half asleep, than having to serve up burgers and fries while I wait to see if I can get another hour in a clapped out 152.

I consider myself very fortunate because the stars were aligned and I managed to jump from school to military flying to airline flying and have been very lucky in being in the right place at the right time. HOWEVER, if I'd chosen the other path I always considered (as Nooby is), by now I should have risen to the heady ranks of consultant surgeon, be able to afford a much bigger boat and be in my bed most nights, instead of stabbing myself with a pen to stay awake over some ocean or vast land.

I've got no choice now as I'm too old to convert (and couldn't afford the pay cut) but if I had my time again..........