PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Floods & MRH90
Thread: Floods & MRH90
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2011, 21:57
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
TBM, don't think I alluded to the fact that aid to civil power was not an ADF consideration/role. In fact I did state that they are often called upon, directed by the Government and away doing civil aid not only in this country but elsewhere.
As bushranger said "Those in Australia who misguidedly believe that provision of aid to civil power is not an overriding consideration in defence capabilities employment should have a careful read of Defence White Paper 2009." Very true, a consideration but not the core business and as BR succinctly put it, although an over riding consideration has been severely eroded over the last number of years due to more costly less effective airframes.

Let's not forget that the ADF is fully funded by the citizens of Australia not the "government"!

Quite correct, so? The Government directs the ADF not the citizens.

When our fellow citizens are in trouble we must ALL be there

No argument but I am not to certain of your point. Again I stated the ADF personal have to wait to be told when, where to go and what to do. They cannot just take off to give hand, with or without equipment.

BR talks about cost effectiveness and utility. Should have kept the Huey, should have kept the Caribou or an updated version.

My back is up over the indication that the ADF and its people have not done the right thing. The ADF and its people cannot do anything unless they are directed to or already have in place an approved and authorised plan of action. One for flood relief, one for fire relief.

Christmas stand down is nonsense. Why. When do you suggest we stand down people that have spent the last Christmas away/overseas. The ADF call it a stand down because people are still on call, not a shut down.

Last edited by finestkind; 19th Jan 2011 at 22:15.