PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Junglie Merlins
Thread: Junglie Merlins
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2011, 17:02
Tallsar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OG -in making my comments about prospective CHF Merlin performance and payload...I have drawn on my understanding of the Mk3 and its performance detail...by no means was it speculation. What I cannot comment in depth is the detail of indivisible loads or specific CHF tasks that might tax the Mk4? beyond its present lift capabilities, and that before the additional weight associated with marinisation - should that happen.
Do not kid yourself that somehow the Mk3 is broadly like a Mk4 Sea King as compared to a Mk5/6 Sea King.....not so.....with a modicum of fuel and the "standard" role and defensive aid equipment installed...the term medium lift becomes very debatable if not inapplicable to many peoples thinking.
Like always in these circumstances I am sure the CHF team will make do and mend, and adapt the use of the ac as best possible...but no one should kid themselves that a modifed Mk3 will be the efficient workhorse the CHF task deserves - Shame the Puma Mk2 will not have the wider u/c track...now there would be a thought!