PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can a B777 first officer be so young?
Old 19th Jan 2011, 15:39
Drakestream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloody hell 747forever, long haul is not your lifestyle!! School is your lifestyle and you'd be better off concentrating on that and then concentrating on your ATPL exams and flight training before declaring 'long haul is my lifestyle'! For the vast majority of wannabes and new pilots unemployment is their lifestyle. Choices come with experience and experience takes time. Apply to whatever you can, fly whatever you can and when you have 5,000 or 6,000 hours under your belt, then, and only then, can you start trying to dictate what your lifestyle is.

As a quick side note, I'd very much like long haul to be my lifestyle too, but three and a half years into my career I consider myself extremely lucky to be flying medium turboprops on short domestic and international flights. To get this job I have moved over 4,000 miles away from home and invested heavily. It took contacts and a great deal of time and luck. I have just under 1,500 hours, I am still years away from being able to dictate what I fly, where I fly and the lifestyle I live. Having been married for just over two weeks now I'd even just love the chance to see my wife more than once every 6 weeks, but this career requires sacrifices.