PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines jet goes off runway in Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Old 19th Jan 2011, 02:17
Checkerboard 13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a swept wing and if you look forward just inboard of the second slat you will notice that the spoiler isn't in the video.
Not sure I follow what you're saying.
It can't be "forward" as in fore/aft on the plane, as that would be ahead of the wing....

I'm comparing this frame to the photo (which clearly shows the spoilers.)
There are 4 slats between the engine pylon and the wingtip. In the photo, the outboard end of the outboard spoiler is almost dead even with the outboard end of the second slat (outboard of the pylon.)
That end of the slat is difficult to discern on the video frame, but I can see it on an HD monitor... and looking directly aft of that point, there is still a large section of the trailing edge of the wing visible where the spoilers should be. I don't see them.
I also see that the wing in the video is pitched farther forward than that in the photo (note the angle of the engine pylon for comparison.) That should make the spoilers even more evident.

As you say, the report will tell the story... but then why discuss the incident at all, if we're just going to wait for the report?!