PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Bogie raises it's head yet again
Old 19th Jan 2011, 01:01
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Rat 5: congratulations, I get you don't make mistakes. Thats a relief, now we only need to sort out every other pilot.

I am unfortunately a lesser evolved species, being merely "human" (my wife may disagree on that classification on occasions) as are the other pilots that crash aircraft, design lousy procedures, build poor computers, and run whack-a-doodle governments around this polluted and poisoned rock we call home.

Searching around in a 5 mtr hole in the ground with smoking wreckage and the remains of bodies nearby, looking for answers why all pilots aren't fool proof takes the work that I do, and which I heavily rely on the research and tools developed by people such as PBL, Holnagel, Rasmussen, Johnson, Endsley, Mauro, Klein, Sumwalt... and co to understand why the dad guys aren't making the same "OBVIOUS" decision that you do. Wearing Biohazard garments takes this discussion out of the realm of being "academic" [BOACs, Atapsters posit].

Being merely mortal, when my passengers are on board, the only thing I know is that I make mistakes, the designer makes mistakes, my crew makes mistakes, and the world is a dynamic place. My job is to attempt to catch those errors to the best of my ability, or avoid those areas of risk that I can reasonably do so, while being urged by all and sundry to expedite, save time, money etc... While reasonably proficient at doing so, I also understand that prior performance is a poor predictor of future performance, and StuF happens; that make it interesting to understand what issues are being [re] invented out there to try and derail my [any your] polished performances.

Individual performance in almost all if not all tasks have temporal qualities, (what I like about the resonance concepts...), an example is the Capt who inexplicably continues to ask for a higher altitude than the aircraft performance will permit (on a standards evaluation flight...) yet after being labelled a "BOZO"... then proceeds to a few years later save 800 people when a well respected B744 operator (competitor airline) taxies across his runway on a MTOW departure in a fully loaded B744. Not one out of the numerous other crew in his aircraft, the other aircraft or ATC recognised the critical condition, but the "BOZO" does a reject and saves everyone...

Most people if brought back from the dead and given the last 16 seconds again would probably make different decisions... (the "Omega III" principle from "Galaxy Quest").