PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Williamtown Procedures
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2011, 19:41
scran
Music Quizmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaser - Thanks - hasn't changed. (And I only EVER used Shrimp boats during initial radar training....... )

C'change,

While I agree with all your statements about the Missed Approach path etc for ILS Rwy 12, I would temper it with some discussion. If the weather at the time was such that an ILS approach was required, I'd wonder if the weather was suitable for the VFR lane to be open. I'm going to assume the weather was such that the lane was suitable, and having ducked back to the thread start and checked Dick's brief on the weather - it clearly was.

If the Air Ambulance is conducting a practice ILS (just because it's IFR doesn't mean it HAS to do an instrument approach) then I think Dick has a point, in that holding aircraft in the lane where either a landing is assured, or should the aircraft not land, but be able to circle for an approach (ie - the weather is suitable for a visual circuit - a full missed approach is/will not be required) and therefore another form of separation could be applied (something simple like Air Amb remain over land with the coastal guy to remain east of the coast/over water) I, as a controller, would have been happy to let the lane guys continue the transit. Indeed I suspect I've done exactly this on several occassions, but can't recall any specifics (I last controled at Willy in 1985). That would be providing a "safe and expiditious" service................

This is based on MY experience, noting that I have not actively controlled since Nov 1992. Things/rules may well have changed in 18 years (despite what Dick says).

Oh, and Dick, thank you for the statement about light aircraft being difficult to see at 3nm even if alerted by a radar controller.

Says a lot from the greatest exponent of unalerted "see-and'avoid"............