PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 18th Jan 2011, 14:33
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The relevant question is what critical functions should be mediated and how. Most pilots are probably not aware of the development techniques used to assess and ensure safety (in the sense of minimising and mitigating dangerous failures) of critical systems. And, I suppose, even less aware that these selfsame techniques apply to systems whose behavior is partly human.
- nor need to be. Now that you have bust in on our coffee break, I challenge that! RAW DATA is 'un-mediated', or as close as you can get. It means NOT having complex computer programmes deciding which input to the system is the one/s we will 'accept'. You have joined the coffee break at the point where we are discussing power and pitch attitudes. If you are suggesting that some damn wiggly amps are 'mediating' on those basic values then I think it is time to stop software development - the technology is not yet nearly good enough to have that sort of interference, as we saw at PGF..

My point is give us pitch and power and we can survive loss of other sensors. The job of software designers is to produce the flawless perfect system. Long way to go.
Just ask the crew of QF72. Your "raw data"
- I cannot. Which 'Raw Data' are you talking about?