PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia
Old 18th Jan 2011, 11:38
Agus_85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work in Namibia

Hello BBN RADAR!

I am a spanish pilot with 250 flight hours more or less, who are thinking of going to Namibia to look for a work. I have spent much time collecting information from different forums and every time I find something new that disrupts what I had thought the day before .... In principle I have really wanted to move to Namibia, apart from the opportunities that you can find there as many people says online, I also attract other reasons but the main reason would be to find a job as a pilot ...
you are one of the persons who has provided more information, so I decided to ask you .... is truly a good decision to go to Namibia to find job? I do not mean if it is sure to found it or not, that is something separate, but really worth the risk? I've read here today about a list held in Namibia's government with the names of pilots unemployed in his country, and according to the people, the government requires companies to hire first those pilots, which makes the possibility of getting a job and a visa even more difficult .... this is true? because if it is like this, I think that the option of going there has lost some interest.
Apart of this.... if finally i decide to go, i will be there for the end of february, or the begining of march... do you think it is a good time to move there?? or you recomind me other time of the year??
And at the same time, i would like to ask you some questions about the country....
1) what is it about living there?? is it safety, or it is dangerous? i mean, because of the poverty that I imagine that should be there, will it lead to crimes caused by their own hunger?? (it is possible to be an stupid question but i prefer to make this stupid questions now, better than once that i get installed there!!)... I have read online that Namibia is not a pour country but i preffer to get sure!

2) What about the price of the life?? is it expensive, cheap, or more or less it is like in Europe?? food, transport, houses to rent.... and talking about this... can you tell me how to look for a house or a flat to rent there before moving to.... because i have only found webs to buy houses not to rent... or is it better to look for it once you arrive??

3) What about the visa?? do i have to obtain some visa to go there at the begining or it is not neccesary until you find a job? (if this was the case.... :S)

4) Wich city is the most interenting to go with the purpose of finding a job?? I have think in Windhoek, beecause being the capital i think that most of the companies will be set there.... but if you could inform me better it should be good for me.... what about Swakopmund?

5)What about the public transport?? taxi, bus, train?? i have seen that train services are not very good in the country....

6)One idea that i have is to move to Namibia (Windhoek) try to apply for a job there some time and then move to Botswana (Maun) to do the same if it was not satisfactory in the firs place.... what do you think about this? is it easy to move from one place to the other, or not??

7) What about to rent a car? or it is more intelligent to use public transport there?

thank you very much for everything before reciving your answer!! Sorry if some of the questions are a bit silly, but like i have told ou before, i preffer to know all these thing before moving there....