PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 18th Jan 2011, 10:49
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I really do hesitate to disturb the sewing club's coffee hour, I do feel I should point out that there is no such thing as raw data any more (with - I should say here, so as not to offend certain sensibilities - the exception of The Greatest Airplane Ever Built, which along with other airplanes built some 40 years ago might actually have had some. I am talking here about airplanes 25 years old or less).

And if there should be any raw data around, you really don't want it. Just ask the crew of QF72. Your "raw data" is heavily computer-mediated and must be. And of course control functions have been mediated since WWII, although only in the last 22 years in-service by digital computers.

The relevant question is what critical functions should be mediated and how. Most pilots are probably not aware of the development techniques used to assess and ensure safety (in the sense of minimising and mitigating dangerous failures) of critical systems. And, I suppose, even less aware that these selfsame techniques apply to systems whose behavior is partly human.

PBL