PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly EASA - PLEASE HELP
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 21:36
Sean H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAZ45,

I did my JAA PPL(A) SEP(L) Rating, Night Rating and VHF R/T Licence with EASA.
It is a good school and will do exactly what it says on the tin !
Give yourself an extra week, this is a wise plan.
Only pay for the 45 hour course. You should get it done on time. In fact, myself and other's I know, did the JAA PPL skill test when we had 41 Hours done. So after the test I, and others had to do another hour or so solo to bring us up to the 45 hour mark that is required for licence issue by the UK CAA. By all means, have extra money with you, but have it in your own hands or your bank account. DO NOT, pay them extra until you actually have to.
To sum up the experience quickly for you, you arrive in Florida, transported to Ormond Beach accomadation, Get to know the others in the house, wake up, Get driven into the school on your first day, sign contracts, get taken to local police station for finger printing, get taken to aero medical to get your FAA Cass 3 medical, get intruduced to your instructor, S/He will show you around the school and the aeroplane that you will learn to fly.
You will know the day before what time your flying lessons will be for the next day. When you arent flying, study the PPL confuser so you can pass your written exams. Try and get extra air experience with the hour builders that are there, ask kindly if you can join them. Before you know it, its all over and you are on your jumbo back to europe!
Wait around a few weeks, the CAA post you your licence, then your go to your local club or a private owner, get a checkout, get familiar with local R/T and local area.
Thats about it really. It will go really fast your month in Florida but you should enjoy it.
In my view, for value for money, you cant beat EASA. They are simply the most cost effective for those with the lump sum of the course price in there pocket and teh quickest means of getting the licence.
With regards to weather, its ideal for training. Avoid July/August if you can. Too hot, sticky, bumpy, rainy, windy, lighting'y etc lol.