PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best helmet for aerobatics?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 19:47
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you need/want a helmet? Possible factors:
  1. Crash Impact protection
  2. Airframe impact protection in event of bale out.
  3. Decent Comms that won't fall off
  4. Decent sun glare protection without falling off
  5. Ability to have Hearing protection without the ANR seal being broken by sunglasses
I think the Alpha tends to beat the HGU on 1 (see AAIB Report on Extra in Kent)? HGU I am sure fine for 2. 3, 4, 5 suspect any helmet the same, subject to finding/fitting best comms inc. ANR.

I have a (refurb) Alpha Eagle 900, and love it! Very comfortable, light, use in One Design / RVs / Yaks / Extra etc.

To address issues above it has ANR built in, single visor kit (not just the clear visior removed, but the tinted visor then lower where the clear would be), and a cloth cover (removing the hard visor assembly). The last 2 are to minimise the head clearance issues (see below).

It cost a fortune, especially since sourced via HSL, but well worth it given the many hours of good service it has given.

Which make/type you go for depends on what you can find / your priorities, but it is one thing I would suggest splashing out on "extras" for, rather than skimping

NoD

PS Alpha 900 has useful ability to tighten/lock/loosen the nape strap via rotary wheel on RHS, rather than a "fitting" type adjustment with string and a screw.