PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 years on...
Thread: 4 years on...
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2011, 17:27
Shrimps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 years ago I was just getting the results of my phase 1 JAA theoretical knowledge exams at OAA, and having done better than expected (having had nightmares of failing all of them; though I think everyone does!) was feeling positive about moving on. Phase two went even better for me; and so I headed out to AZ feeling confident about the job ahead.

While out there it was announced that OAA had taken over the SAS academy, and was hoping to be able to place students directly with airlines (that went well...), and so again all was rosy. I got first time passes in all the flight tests, and had a fantastic time learning to fly - I had some excellent instructors who were genuinely passionate about flying.

Returning back to Oxford was when news reports first started indicating economic issues; however at the time BA and BE were still recruiting as were a number of others.

Almost exactly three years to the day I took the initial IR and only managed a partial after a stupid mistake on the non precision approach (turned left instead of right to follow the needle - realised very quickly but it had gone out of limits before I could rescue it!); but still attained a first series pass which I wasn't too concerned with.

About this time BA declined to invite me and one other from my course to interview, for reasons which I am still unaware of. Shortly afterwards BA shut down recruitment altogether. Almost exactly the same happened with BE. However I did get invited to assessments with Luxair (failed on the DLR tests) Tyrolean (failed on aptitude tests) and Ryanair.

Failing Ryanair didn't come as a surprise; I had a horrendous sim compared to many of my peers which overloaded me somewhat; and I do still feel a little hard done to having read the reams of information on what other PPrune users faced. However, for whatever reason it didn't happen on that day, and there is no use dwelling on it.

I haven't had an airline assessment since then (July 2009) as Ryanair also shut down recruitment, and then reopened it with a 'no reapplications' stipulation; as every other airline recruiting want TR or hours galore for the most part I have struggled to even get a response from most airlines.

I have managed to keep all my ratings and medicals current, but my actual flying hours have been very low as I have been paying my loan off every month, which doesn't leave me with much money at the end of the month, even living at home. Recently I have been fortunate enough to be able to invest some money in a light aircraft share which should offer a boost there to at least keep me in flying practice.

The most difficult part is looking back to wonder where it all went wrong - why I'm the only one on my course without a flying job, while my course mates are now looking at unfreezing licences and fleet changes. I can't blame OAA's training, as I genuinely think it was very good; though I do perhaps have some issues with the 'after sales support' which I do feel has forgotten about me somewhat.

Not a day goes by where I don't check for job vacancies and 'Terms and Endearment' to see what is moving; and I have no intention of just giving up - I remain positive and keep on looking. At the end of the day I do have a job (dull though it is) and things certainly could be worse; my luck will hopefully change eventually.