PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Bogie raises it's head yet again
Old 17th Jan 2011, 14:55
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 4 dimensional mind

when I first read about flying , thinking in three dimensions was part of the equation...up/down, left right/ forward back....but we must add time into that process, so, let's say 4 dimensions.

I think modern automation reduces the mind's capability to think in 4 dimensions. Whether really good pilots know it or not, they are working all the time in 4 dimensions.

Using RMIs is sort of tough and your must project your position upon a chart for terrain reference/safe altitudes.

Are our minds becoming weaker? I think so. Or if not weaker, more clouded by gadgets instead of using the imagination to know where we are in 4 dimensions.

When I was first learning to fly in California, USA...a number of radar mistakes lead airplanes into the sides of mountains. when I first flew to one of these airports, I insisted on flying the entire procedure as published...it added quite a bit of time to the flight, but I knew where I was every step of the way...right down to minimums.

Anyone here think flying is easy? Well, it isn't...if you aren't firing on all 8 cylinders of the mind, you aren't doing your job.